Articles Referencing the Sandler Foundation. Some work of the Foundation has been referenced in external publications, including the following:
- An article by Anthony D. Romero and Geri E. Rozanski in the Summer 2017 edition of the Stanford Social Innovation Review, entitled “A Revamped ACLU Takes on Today’s Fights,” summarizes the ACLU’s 10-year plan to expand the capacity of its affiliates and references the Sandler Foundation’s support of the initiative.
- An article in the Summer 2017 edition of the Stanford Social Innovation Review, entitled “Ten Ways to Make a Big Bet on Social Change,” discusses the Sandler Foundation’s founding of ProPublica, a nonprofit investigative journalism newsroom.
- An article in the Winter 2016 edition of the Stanford Social Innovation Review, entitled “Making Big Bets for Social Change,” discusses the importance of strategic planning and due diligence and references the Sandler Foundation.
- An editorial published in Science Translational Medicine in May 2015 details the American Asthma Foundation’s (AAF) creative approach to funding asthma research. The AAF was founded by Sandler Foundation in 2000.
- A January 2015 article in Inside Philanthropy, entitled “The Sandler Way: Where Big Philanthropy Meets the Art of Common Sense” summarizes the Foundation’s grant-making philosophy.
- A May 2012 article in The Atlantic, entitled “In Praise of ProPublica” describes the history and success of ProPublica, an investigative newsroom launched in 2007 with support of the Sandler Foundation.
- A 2011 book, “Give Smart: Philanthropy that Gets Results”, by Thomas J. Tierney and Joel L. Fleishman, includes background information about the Sandler Foundation’s role in creating ProPublica. The Bridgespan Group’s Give Smart initiative and website also includes a Case Study on ProPublica.
- An article by Steven Teles and Mark Schmitt in the Summer 2011 edition of the Stanford Social Innovation Review, entitled “The Elusive Craft of Evaluating Advocacy”, references the Sandler Foundation’s role in evaluating advocates rather than just individual acts of advocacy.
- A March 2008 article in the New York Times Magazine, entitled “Self-Made Philanthropists”, gives some background about the Foundation’s philosophy and approach to grantmaking.
Press Releases and Media Coverage. Press releases and related items that reference the Sandler Foundation’s work include the following:
- Press release for the 2016 NCRP Impact Awards reception (May 3, 2016)
- Meet, treat, grow: UCSF ‘Sandler model’ pushes neurosciences expansion (March 25, 2016)
- 2016 NCRP Impact Awards: Awardee for Community Foundation/Grantmaking Public Charity: Sandler Foundation (March 8, 2016)
- New National Education Think Tank to Focus on Learning (September 3, 2015)
- New Center Will Advance Life-Saving Genome-Based Diagnostic Tools (August 20, 2015)
- Novel Research Program Dares Scientists to Dig Deeper, Defy Status Quo (May 31, 2013)
- UCSF Receives Transformative Gift for Neuroscience Research and Care from Sandler Foundation (May 24, 2012)
- Sandler Foundation Supports Professional Learning for Higher Levels of Learning for All Students Through Implementation of Common Core State Standards and Readiness for New Assessments (August 23, 2011)
- UCSF Grant Program Encourages Breakthrough Biomedical Research (November 2, 2009)
- Standards for Safe Credit Cards (March 31, 2009)
- More Than $2MM in Gifts Go To Johns Hopkins Patient Safety (October 21, 2008)
- New Non-Profit Investigative News Organization to be Led by Paul Steiger (October 15, 2007)
- Challenge Grant Will Bolster Human Rights Cause (December 16, 2004)
Video Materials. The following videos provide background information about the Sandler Foundation and its approach to philanthropy:
- Video by Executive Vice President Steve Daetz to accept the 2016 NCRP Impact Award on behalf of the Sandler Foundation (May 2016)
- Video Tribute to Marion Sandler, produced by UCSF for the 15 Year Celebration of the Program for Breakthrough Biomedical Research (May 2013)
- Speech by Herb Sandler on the Impact of Private Philanthropy, delivered at the 15 Year Celebration of the Program for Breakthrough Biomedical Research (May 2013)
- Bridgespan.org interviews with Herb Sandler about philanthropy (November 2012)
- Video about Herb and Marion Sandler produced by UCSF (May 2010)